Murder and Manslaughter
California Murder Defense Attorney
It goes without saying that murder and manslaughter (see recent results) are considered among the most heinous and serious charges in California. When a person is killed under circumstances where it appears that the death is related to another person’s actions, charges are virtually guaranteed to follow. The police and prosecution are under tremendous pressure in theses types of cases to “solve the crime” and “find the person responsible” so that they can punish that person to the fullest extent of the law because of the violent and dangerous nature of this type of crime. The problem is that many times this “pressure,” be it from the family of the deceased or the media, can result in a rush to judgment against an individual that leads to injustice.
If you have been accused of murder or manslaughter in California, you should speak with a criminal defense attorney immediately to discuss your legal options.
CaliforniaÂ Murder/Manslaughter Lawyer
Murder in California is defined as the criminal killing of another person with malice aforethought. There are two different degrees of murder charges that you could face:
- First degree murder is often charged when the homicide was intentionally committed and was premeditated. There are various other factors that can play into a first degree murder charge. For example, a murder that occurred during the commission of another felony such as rape or arson can result in a first degree murder charge.First degree murder can be charged as a capital offense in California – that means that the death penalty is a punishment option.
- Second degree murder can be charged for all other types of murder that are not of the first degree.
Manslaughter is generally defined as unlawful killing of another person without premeditation. There are three types of manslaughter charges in California:
- Voluntary manslaughter can be charged if the person was killed during a fight, argument, disagreement or in the “heat of the moment.”
- Involuntary manslaughter can be charged if the death was an accident or occurred during the commission of an unlawful non-felony act.
- Vehicular manslaughter can be charged if you were negligent in operating your vehicle and the action resulted in the death of another person.
Murder and manslaughter charges are the most serious charges a person can face in California. In fact, your life could even be at risk if you are convicted of murder in the first degree. The California manslaughter/murder lawyers at Lieber Williams & Labin are experienced in dealing with the most serious felony cases and will take a calm, strategic approach to fighting for you. Call us now. A lawyer will answer the phone to begin building your defense.
Lieber Williams & Labin is a legal team dedicated to providing the highest quality defense possible to our clients. Part of our strategic, systematic approach is to keep our clients “in the loop” at every stage, allowing them to be part of the process of developing a defense designed to maximize the chances of getting the case dismissed or charges reduced. If there is a way to get your case dismissed, the Lieber Williams & Labin team will find it and then employ every resource necessary to making it happen.
If you have been charged with a violent crime in California contact a Los Angeles Murder/Manslaughter Attorney at Lieber Williams & Labin as soon as possible.